Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Counting Down the Twelve Days Til Christmas (And Eight Days til Yule) Part 2

As promised, here is my list of my twelve favorite Christmas movies followed by my twelve favorite Yule songs. Here is the thing with the Yule songs. Before this year, I had lyrics to Yule songs but I had never heard one. If they had been recorded on a tape on cd before, I never heard it. I am sure people in covens probably sang them during Yule celebrations but I am solitary. So this year when I found videos on youtube of people singing Yule carols I was ecstatic! Even in my most Scroogy moments, I still love Christmas music. Not just any old Christmas music, though. I am very very picky about the songs and the versions I listen to because I just have a certain standard of great for these songs. And I will always love Christmas music. Yule music will not replace Christmas music for me. It just makes me happy to have, for the first time since I became Wiccan, songs this time of year that celebrate the religious aspect of the month for me. 
On that note, speaking of the Yule/Christmas thing, if anyone reading this has any questions about how I celebrate the season, how I view Christmas since I am not Christian...anything like that, you are always welcomed to ask. You can ask in the comments or e-mail me if you would like. I have no problem answering these things.
Anyway, without further ado, here are my twelve favorite Christmas songs and my twelve favorite Yule songs. 
1) O Holy Night and Happy Christmas (War is Over)
With number one, we have a tie. They are both my top favorite Christmas songs so enjoy them.
And for anyone out there who has heard the Celine Dion version and liked it? You need to double up on the recommended dose of this song (listen to it three times every four hours between Dec. 1st and Dec. 26th) because your music taste is on its death bed. :)
2) We Three Kings
I believe this is the hardest song to find  good version of on the internet. Most of the time you either find a version with words and the music sucks or you find a version with great music but there are no words. Here is the one that I have found that is probably the best I've come across so far.
3) God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
There are probably a thousand versions of this song and there are a few that are really good but my favorite is Loreena McKennit's. For those of you who don't know of her, she is a Celtic singer and her voice is amazing. The way she did this song isn't typical but I love it.
4) Santa Baby
For this song, it has to be the Madonna version. When I was little I loved this song, I sang the hell out of it in my best sexy slut voice, and I will admit to all of you now that I still do that every year. 
5) Jingle Bell Rock
This is another song that I friggin' love. I tend to like two types of Christmas music: the music that sounds like it is from the 12th century and the stuff that makes you want to get up and shake your ass while you are putting lights on the Christmas tree. This is, of course, one from the ass shaking category.
6) Blue Christmas
I like Elvis and I think this is one of those songs that you just don't feel like it is Christmas until you've heard it. Melissa Etheridge also did a version and while I love her and I liked her version, Elvis is still king.




7) Rocking Around the Christmas Tree
This one is another great song from the realm of ass shaking Christmas songs.
8) Run Run Rudolf
Chuck Berry was amazing and it should not be a surprise that he was able to make a bad ass rock n' roll Christmas tune. lol
9) Good King Wenceslaus
This is another song that I prefer when Loreena McKennit sings it. She does it well and she does it simple...the way it was intended to be.
10) Silent Night
I love this song. I actually used to play it (poorly) on an electric organ when I was a kid. Over the years I have heard  some great versions of it and some god awful ones but my favorite is Sarah McLachlan's version.
11) Carol of the Bells
I looked for two years to find a good version of this before I came across the version done by Celtic Women.
12) Rudolf The Rednose Reindeer
Yes, even though I am 24 years old, even now every time I hear this song I shout out the "added" parts. For instance, "like Monopoly" at the end of "They wouldn't let poor Rudolf join in any reindeer games". And I do mean shout...loudly...even in crowded grocery stores. Why? Because that is how I roll of course. :)
And now for the Yule songs:
1) Santa Claus is Pagan Too
I think this song is figgin' adorable and I love it. Seriously really love it. :)


2) Gods Rest Ye Merry Paganfolk
Set to the music of God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen
3) Mother Berta
This is set to the music of Santa Claus is Coming to Town and it is a myth about a European winter "hag" I found a blog post about the song and the story so if you would like to read it, here is the link: http://manyhandshouse.blogspot.com/2011/12/bertas-coming-to-town-by-steven-posch.html
5) Silent Night (Pagan Version)
6) What Night is This
Set to the tune of What Child is This
7) Midnight Clear
8) Wiccan Wonderland
I think this song is cute. I know I keep posting songs by the same woman. I don't know who she is but I think she has a very pretty voice, I love the tree, and the way that she did these songs acapella. 
9) The Holly and the Ivy
This is the original version of the song but the song itself, to me, is relevant to Yule as well as Christmas because of the references in it. 
10) The Solstice Carol

11) Solstice Song
12) Green Grows the Holly
There you have it! My twelve favorite Christmas songs and my twelve favorite Yule carols. Do you have a list of your own? Share it! Any and all comments are welcome! I hope everyone has a very Merry Christmas/Happy Yule/Happy Hanukkah/Happy Kwanzaa...and again, if you celebrate a different holiday this time of year and your tradition has songs, please share. Titles, video links, what ever. I would love to hear them. Happy holidays, everyone. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment