Monday, May 6, 2024

It's All Been Done Before

About a month ago, I heard someone say that there was a novel published in 1929 called Ex Wife that was written by a woman and it was all about the breakdown of her marriage (or the marriage of a female character). This was wild to me because I have a book I have been writing for ten years (because until this past year I could only write it in the summer....no, I don't know why...it just is what it is and I go with it) and in this novel, which starts in 1920 but goes through decades, at one point the main character and her estranged husband both write novels detailing the breakdown of their marriage. I have ordered this book to see what it's about but before it comes, I just want something with a date talking about what Amelia (the main character in the book) wrote about in her book about her marriage breakdown. Amelia's book is about meeting Fitz (her husband) through their great mutual friend, the three of them getting a place to live in Paris (where Amelia was born and raised) and she and Fitz falling in love and getting married. They are both writers and after they both experience success with their work, Fitz (an American) gets Amelia to come with him to New York where he develops a terrible alcohol addiction and goes from her loving kind husband to a cheating, hateful, at one point downright abusive man who is everything Fitz once despised about men. It culminates in him finally kicking out his mistress and drinking only what he needs to avoid DT's and for six months, Amelia has the man she fell in love with again... only to come home early from a meeting and find his mistress sitting in the living room with a baby that looks just like him leading her to walk out on him. Oh, and Amelia and Fitz also published their novels in 1929 (May to be precise). So let's see if Ex Wife is anything like the book Amelia wrote. I hope not but also I can't tell y'all how many times I have written something only to read a similar idea later on in another book (combining vampires and Atlantis, for instance). I truly think it's because many writers are pulling from the same place (I call it the Well of Inspiration) and damn it, I just wanted to make sure I got this shit posted somewhere with a time and date....just in case. 😂

No comments:

Post a Comment