Monday, October 15, 2012

Ten Songs to Get Your Halloween Party Going

And what would Halloween be without the music to get the party started? I'm not talking about the incredibly cheesy crap you get on those store bought Halloween CD's either (sorry...I despise that stuff). I am talking about the good stuff from the movies, shows, and books that make Halloween great. So get ready to groove with me. 

1) The Monster Mash by Boris Pickett
What would this holiday be without The Monster Mash? It has been a beloved part of Halloween since the early 1960's ('62 I believe but I'm not sure) and it's such a fun song that I can't imagine anyone not loving it.
2) This Is Halloween-The Nightmare Before Christmas Soundtrack
Yes, I am partial to this movie and everything related to it, I know. But this song is absolutely great and because of its title and lyrics it has become like a Halloween anthem for my generation. 
3) I Put A Spell On You-Hocus Pocus Soundtrack
I love CCR and I love Marilyn Manson and both versions of this song are great but for me, if you want the best Halloween version of it, the Sanderson Sisters have you covered. It's Bette Midler. How could anyone not love it? haha
4) Jack's Lament-The Nightmare Before Christmas Soundtrack
This is the last one off that soundtrack, I promise. lol Everything I said about This is Halloween could be said again for Jack's Lament. The King of Halloween's woes over his job has become a favorite this time of year for all of us who love the movie. With lines like, "With the slightest little effort of my ghost like charms I have seen grown men give out a shriek  With the wave of my hand or a well placed moan I have swept the very bravest off their feet." it's no wonder. 
5) Come Little Children-Hocus Pocus Soundtrack
I advise playing this as you pass out candy on Halloween night. I can almost guarantee you will soon become the most talked about house on the block. This song was my favorite from the movie when I was little because I thought it was enchanting. Since Sarah Sanderson is singing it to lure children, I suppose that is fitting. I couldn't imagine Halloween without this dark tune. 
6) Skin and Bones
My music teacher in elementary school first introduced me to this song and I absolutely loved it as a kid. It took me years to find it again and last year on youtube I finally found two versions of it. The first was recorded a very long time ago, possibly on the Victrola records they had decades ago, and it is sang by an unknown woman. It sounds very creepy and the video has a slideshow of the pictures that people once took of their dead in various poses so it's more for the grown up's. The second version is more like the one I remember from my childhood. 


7) The Hearst Song
I know this song from Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and all of my friends do too. It's a gory little tune but kids seem to love it and I must admit, I am still entertained by it as well.
8) The Ghost of John (Traditional)
I remember this song from childhood but I had forgotten all about it until I stumbled upon a singer who actually does Halloween carols. She did a version of it that I really enjoy and I like that she did this song because it's so old no one knows where the hell it came from (like Skin and Bones) and if people continue to sing it, it can survive for future generations. 
9) Thriller-Michael Jackson
I don't personally think of this as a Halloween song but many people do and it is easy to see why. I mean, that video has been scaring the shit out of kids since 1983. Just about everyone I know from my generation has a story concerning the fear they felt once upon a time because of the video and Vincent Price's creepy part in the song. I personally used to play it to scare my little brother because he was terrified of the song itself and our rooms were side by side so if I turned it up loud enough he could hear it. (Yeah, I am chuckling just remembering that...) So...without further ado...THRILLER
10) The Addams Family Theme Song
Last, but certainly not least, we have one of the greatest theme songs of all time. The Addams Family was goth before there was a name for it. They are the first family of dysfunction, they embrace the macabre, and they are absolutely loveable to everyone but their neighbors and such. Play it once and it will be stuck in your head all day. But it's worth it, right? Get ready to snap your fingers....
That completes my Halloween suggestions. I hope it was as fun for you as it was for me. As I've said before, this time of year is magical for me and it always has been. To me, Halloween is a day where kids can be whatever they want (and adults who choose to believe can too) and anything is possible. So hang your ghosts, stick your tombstones in the ground, and hug your local witch. Because the most wonderful time of the year is upon us again.

No comments:

Post a Comment